Sunday, December 23, 2012

Canning Conundrum

Even when I follow a recipe absolutely faithfully for putting up produce, I never end up with as many jars as it says.  I wonder why that is?  It's a little frustrating to put hours of work into something and only get half of what the recipe claims - not to mention washing and heating all those jars that just end up going back in storage.  

Oh well, I do get quite a lot of satisfaction hearing all those lids pop tightly closed and seeing the food I raised and prepared in pretty jars in my pantry.  I definitely need to buy more pint jars; I seem to be overloaded with half pints which is not a lot of marmalade, salsa, or what have you when it comes down to it.

Every year, I vow to grow more and put up more, but I end up eating what's grown while it's fresh - and not growing as much as I'd like.  Last year, it was because of the relentless rain, and the year before it was big life changes.  Maybe this year things will work out better.  At the very least, I ought to plant a bunch of determinate tomatoes - we eat a lot of tomato sauce and paste around here. 

It's going to be a busy week - one of my children has a birthday a couple of days after Christmas, and then some family is coming, and then it will be time to go back to work.  So, today, now that I am done with my canning, I am going to read a book, in spite of the rare beautiful weather and the wish my family has for pizza (we're going to have baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese and various other toppings for a light dinner, because after four hours of making preserves, I am NOT making dough - besides, it's a birthday tradition that there is masses of home made dough that the kids can fashion into their own mini-pizzas...)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of popping lids. Its like music to my ears. You can always get the word out to people you are looking for jars, and you might be able to score some free canning jars. I threw it out on fb at the beginning of summer and scored a bunch!! Just an idea to help with cost. Have a great Christmas!