Saturday, December 14, 2013

Not feeling Christmas-y

I guess I am doing Advent with more gusto this year....which is good, I guess.  Usually, I am the one ramming the Christmas down the family throat: we decorate the tree while eating special snacks, I play Christmas music while cooking most of December, I make cookies.  Last year, they were appreciative for the first time in quite some time.  I even heard, "Thank you for sticking with this every year."  I just don't understand why I am not feeling it at all this year.  No one's complaining, but I feel a little sad, to be honest, that I am not enjoying it more. 

It might have to do with the 278 papers I have to grade - my grades aren't due until June 6, but I really don't want to spend Christmas grading.  It might have to do with National Boards looming.  It might have to do with the poor old dog, the limping horse, and the suspense of having, apparently, no good idea when the ewes will lamb.  I am so off on my count.  

Someone else told me they aren't doing anything until after Finals week - maybe that's just it.  Maybe I have to push hard this week, grade the papers, the finals, the admissions essays, and the reading projects, revise Entry Four, and then put it all away for two weeks.  At least the few papers I kind of looked through didn't look as painful as the last set.  We really worked hard these last couple of weeks on writing.

On a good note, I got the Summer School job!  I was worried about how to pay for the various off-island, out-of-state trips for band and Cross Country scheduled for next year - but it should work out now.  Yay!  Plus, I get to teach my favorite course ever.  The only bummer is that once again it will be hard to keep up with the garden.  I need to get the family more involved. 




No comments: