Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wow! Buddy is not Dinner!

I sold Buddy last year, about a year ago exactly.  I was shocked at our K-12 meeting today to find out that he is still out there somewhere in Hilo mowing lawns.  Kind of happy, but I seriously thought he was Christmas Dinner 2012.  I think maybe he should be Christmas Dinner 2013, because the man told me Buddy was getting "playful" with his small son.  If Buddy takes after his Daddy (Elvis), playful can be painful. 

I asked the buyer if he wanted more - I need to get rid of some boys and my freezer is full of cow and supermarket turkey (free with the little coupons you earn with purchase points).  I told him I would even trade, if he had or his neighbor wanted to trade out some of their boys, or even some of their girls.  I hope that pans out; I really do. 

Today, I had to present a unit I did which infused Hawaiian Culture.  As I faced one of my three sessions and realized all the teachers in the back corner were the ʻOlelo Hawaiʻi teachers -well, it was intimidating.  I really like this unit,  but still....  One comment tickled me:  the teacher said, "I don't have any questions, but I just want to say that hearing that you took on this project when you were new to the school - well, that's amazing."  This place can be intimidating - there is so much at stake on so many levels in everything that you do, but this project on sense of place and community is one of my favorite units that I developed at my charter school.  The kids enjoy it and we ALL learn a lot, so it wasn't as intimidating as all that, but I just said, "Thank you." 

I am just so glad it is over, because I haven't slept for three days - well, not straight through a whole night anyway.  I keep waking up at 2 or 3 am and worry for a few hours.  It was kind of nonspecific worry - like darn that laundry needs to be folded and darn it was a dumb idea to try to finish this book set in 3 1/2 weeks, and darn, I need to do more of....... but it was really, "Darn, why did I say I would share my unit with all these teachers K-12?!"  And in the back of my mind it was "Darn, why am I doing National Boards?"  


No comments: