Saturday, October 22, 2011

Here We Go!

My older's son's last race - well, last race I will see, because I am, of course, planning on him going to the State Finals!  I am far more nervous than he is, because I am also hoping for the whole team to be able to go.  He's hoping for that, too, but he cultivates this "I don't care," attitude about anything to do with school these days.  I remember everything counting too much at his age, but I guess we deal with growing up in the best way we can.  Senior year can be so stressful:  so many decisions to make and so many changes coming up that you both long for and are just that nervous about. 

My younger two have races, too, which I won't be able to go to because they are quite far away and I promised to help with the course this weekend.  I feel really bad about not being able to support ALL the kids this weekend.

I visited the garden by flashlight last night, and the hole the dog dug was in a place that didn't disturb any particular bed - she dug up the walk way and maybe edged a little into the herbs on one side and the lettuce on the other. 

I picked greens for stir fry last night:  turnip, chinese mustard cabbage, collards, the outer leaves of the brussels sprouts and, of course, my favorite sweet potato leaves.  They were very good with the eggs and rice and portuguese sausage - a change from the usual pre-race pasta. 

Oh, and I taught two math classes yesterday - of course, I taught note-taking and not actual math, because I am good at daily math, but Algebra kicks my butt.  I heard a sophomore say to a neighbor, "Why is the English teacher here? That's weird."  I was very nervous, not because it was a math class, but because it's always nerve-wracking to get up in front of a new bunch of kids and in front of another teacher.  You'd think I'd be more used to it, because I have had EAs in my class for years and because I share a room with a teacher who enjoys being able to work at her own desk and who am I to kick her out of her own room? But I am not, apparently.  All was well, though.  Once the activity was started, the kids were engaged and interested. 

The math teachers' rooms face the mala/garden area.  I kept looking out the window and wishing I could start a garden out there to grow food for the Food Bank.  I mentioned it to the kumu in charge of the mala and to the math teacher, and they are both pretty enthusiastic, so it's time to figure out who the heck you are supposed to ask about these things.  The school is quite a bit lower in elevation than my house, so it's sunnier, but there will probably be more pests.  The ground is pretty much lava rock covered with a thing layer of dirt, so raised beds are the only possibility.  Lots to think about: which kids will participate (probably 9th graders and volunteers), where I will get materials (donations), seeds/seedlings (me and hopefully, volunteers), how will we get the results on Thursdays to the Food Bank....pretty exciting.  The seniors have to do a legacy project - that would be another source for student leadership. 

I don't know why I have this urge to plant gardens everywhere to feed people. 

No comments: