Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pink Shell Ginger!

I am so excited!  I have been looking for pink shell ginger for so long - this is the one with the edible root.  Someone just casually pulled up a root and handed it to my husband yesterday.

Once again, I found myself planting (practically) in the dark.  Ginger spreads like you wouldn't believe, so we planted it where the cement of the driveway would stop it spreading in one direction and the trees would stop in a second direction.  It was the only place we could come up with in a hurry because it was growing dark and we were starving! 

Now I have three varieties of ginger growing in our yard - a yellow ginger and a red ginger, both ornamental, and the pink.  At least, I hope the pink will grow.  It should, but I gave it a little pep talk as we drove past it this morning, much to the amusement of my 15 year old son. 

"It can't hear you, Mom," he chortled.

"They say talking to plants helps them grow," I replied.

"That's because of the carbon dioxide, Mom," sighs my 13 year old budding biologist. 

Life with teenagers.  You'd think I would be used to it by now - what with teaching 9th and 10th graders for so long and having had my own teenagers for the last 8 years.... 

No comments: