Monday, May 6, 2013

Lost and Found Lambs

As I was grading papers with the windows open yesterday afternoon, I could hear lambs calling and calling for their mamas.  Just when it started to get to me, when I thought I needed to go out and do something about it, they'd go quiet, presumably because they found their target. 

Considering that I had to carry the twins out to their mama in the morning because she took a bee-line out to the grass and left them in the dust, it's understandable that I felt edgy hearing them cry.  I hate going out into the pasture with Elvis loose.  I have this vision of him getting a good 100 foot run on me and breaking my back if I turn my back on him.  My fix for this problem is carrying the bright red pony halter with the thick white cotton lead and swinging it around casually in his direction.  He hates it when I catch him and lead him anywhere, so the red halter is a big red flag for him. 

It's like I have a compass for him; part of my awareness is always triangulating with his location - he scares me that much.  The biggest dog and the craziest horse don't scare me as much as this ram - but if we're on opposite sides of a fence, he's my best bud.  He loves affection - which is probably the problem. Our other rams are very standoffish and have never offered to ram a human.  I try to dole it out under his chin and in small amounts. 

The one ewe lamb born last week is limping.  I can't see anything wrong with her leg or hoof, though.  I don't think this has anything to do with the "lost and found" drama - she still moves pretty fast.  I hope it resolves, because ewe lambs are thin on the ground this year. 

This has nothing to do with the lambs, but I think you might get a laugh out of my morning!  Today, I woke up at 5 am, as I usually do, except I just felt discombobulated.  Even though I didn't feel like I was getting ready at any slower pace, we didn't leave the house until 5 minutes to six.  As we were driving down the driveway, my son grumbled, "We're supposed to be at school by now!"  I couldn't account for the time. 

Because we were so late, I had to cut my morning workout in half to 15 minutes.  When I went to shower, I found I'd forgotten my towel.  When I got to my room, I found I had forgotten my computer.  I can't teach without my computer - we do our attendance on the computer and all my content in on a Learning Management System - and kids and parents email me all day long.  I didn't have quite enough time to drive home to get it, so I called my husband who graciously agreed to drive it down for me.  I told him I'd meet him at the student parking lot to save him some extra driving.  Our campus is pretty big, so that was over a 1/4 mile walk for me. 

On the way there, my sandal broke, so I had to walk barefoot (I am wearing my athletic shoes with my dress pants now). 

It was kind of a rough start to the morning - although it did provide amusement to my 16 year olds. 

No comments: