Friday, July 5, 2013

Attempting to Tame the Jungle

Unfortunately, I am not talking about the "fallow" areas of our rainforest property - but the outside garden and the greenhouse.  The end of the school year is always disastrous for the house and garden as only the most basic chores are done (ie making sure the cat has food and watering the greenhouse plants and pulling some of the more egregious and easily reached weeds).  This year, June has been just as bad.  The outside garden in particular had weeds as high as my knees. 

I gave my two teens a choice - outside chores or clean house.  Disappointingly, the girl chose to clean the house and the boy chose the garden.  How cliche!  Oh well,  son and I attached a swathe of the garden - and that's all we got done.  We decided to take it in stages - I had some finishing touches to do on my work accounting for the conference last week and the bills - so I told him we could do more tomorrow. 

In other news,  my husband joined me on my walk/run the other day.  We decided to ask the guys with all the tires in their yard if they sold tires... one of the Volvos needed new tires.  They said yes, and then asked if we happened to have any old cars....  This led to us trading old cars for tires.  We are down two Volvos!  I can't tell you how great it is not to have a hunk of rusting car at the end of the 90 degree turn in our driveway, and how great it is to be able to park the working Volvo in the extra carport instead of on the driveway in front of our house. 

Now, if I can get someone to take out the tractor and mow the lawn and get the garden cleaned out and replanted, everything will feel much more finished and summery. 

No comments: