Saturday, March 9, 2013

Beautiful Day!

It's sunny and dry and cool but not cold.  I worked hard this week (or, to be more accurate, worked my students' tails off) and am done, done, done with my grading.  I got up early because my son had to get to school by 5:45 to catch the bus to his preseason meet.  It was a bit of an adrenaline morning, though, because I didn't get up quite early enough and I had to rush the boys (son and friends) up, shove food in their hands as they walked out the door, and pray that my husband got them there in time, because the bus is much preferable to me driving them 60+ miles one way. 

Nothing like a little adrenaline to get you going in the morning, so I got the animals dealt with, hoed up the weeds in the garden, watered in the greenhouse, spread some of the love around with the sweet potato vines that are taking over and now I have this beautiful day ahead of me. 

After all that cold and rain, it's nice to feel the sun - it takes away some of that moldy feeling you get in the rainforest after a long spell of rain. 

While it was raining I got into a big flame war on Yahoo comments.  Sigh, I don't know why I bother.  It's just that I really am interested in the Papal Conclave and who our new Pope will be, but it really bothers me that 1) they have to stick a seemingly obligatory and random paragraph in every article about the sex abuse scandals and 2) the comments are full of bigotry, hatred, and ignorance.  The scandals were and are terrible - but it doesn't define the Church.  No one would dream of writing articles about families and putting a random non sequitur paragraph mentioning child abuse in every article - painting the whole because of the sick minority part is prejudice, no matter which whole group you are talking about. 

It was actually a lot of fun, but it gets tiring after awhile, especially with really slow rural internet and when your opponent can't reason, can't write, and uses Wikipedia to cover up for a basic lack in historical knowledge - copies and pastes, no less. He should have known a teacher can spot plagiarism in her sleep.

I think I will stick to farming and teaching the next generation to reason, write, and to acknowledge sources and skip the political and cultural arguments with random strangers.  Unless it's raining and I am feeling in need of a little fun.   

No comments: