Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Teenager-y Weekend

I have never had two teenagers without also having younger kids who still think Mom is a star...until now.  Don't get me wrong, I quite like teenagers.  I must or I wouldn't have made my career of teaching them, but having two showing small (but still rotten) attitudes at the same time made the weekend less than fun.  Fortunately, the 15 year old just needed food. 

Although, I have to admit making the daughter wheedle a little to earn back her iPod was a little fun - after I got over being mad for the reason I took it in the first place.  My husband disguised being a softie about it by saying she could get it back in an hour, or never, depending on her attitude and her attempts to make amends (I'd set a week time limit).  Or maybe he gets the De mind a little better than I do. She thought she just had to wait it out, he made it a lot less pleasant (extra chores, apologize to offended parties, etc). 

I had all kinds of nightmares - I haven't had teaching nightmares since I was a rookie teacher more years ago than I care to think about.  I dreamed the students, like Tribbles on Star Trek, multiplied as I tried to get them seated and ready for their standardized testing.  I dreamed I showed up to work in my pjs.  Sigh.  Two nights of inadequate teaching dreams.  I showed up at work on Monday, though, and everything was fine.  Phew.  No multiplying kids, and a stern look worked just as well as it always does. 

To make up for it, I acted like a sneaky kid myself.  I went to every wild berry patch I could think of on our property - and I ate all the berries I found myself.  I didn't share.  Of course, that meant about 6 blackberries and two raspberries, but it was the principle (or lack thereof) of the thing.  I did give my husband the one lonely strawberry from the greenhouse, though.  Does that absolve me from being sneaky and a bit selfish? 

No comments: