Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Two Down, One to Go

This week was a rough one - a meeting on Oahu, which is torture because I come in on the first flight, take a late flight and don't even have time to see my kid or my parents.  Also, the first flight means I have to get up at 3:30 am and late flight means I get home at 8.  It was supposed to be 7, but there was something wrong with our plane, so we had to move.  The meeting was intense, too, which is good when you are there, and not so good the next day, when you are expected to be back on top of things after a very long day. 

Today was the court date for my son's small claims case.  I've never been to court, and I was under the impression that this would be a real court case, but this was sort of a preliminary.  Anyway, my son and his erstwhile landlord went into mediation and my son decided on a settlement.  The mediators told him the law was on his side, but he didn't want to go back to court during finals week (when the rest of the cases were being set in the people who went before us) and he'd made his point.  He got quite a bit of the deposit back, and he made his point.  I suspect this landlord rents to students, routinely keeps their deposits, and was rather surprised when this student objected.  I could be wrong, but hey, it all worked out, more or less.  And we all learned something. It was pretty interesting, all in all.  I also brought work with me, so when the judge was in recess, I went ahead and plugged away at the work.

Tomorrow is my formal observation #1.  I hate these things, but I just have to get over it.  I will let you know how it goes. 

No comments: