Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

I am actually having a Happy Halloween, even I always have costume anxiety and am, consequently, not that excited about the holiday in general.  Plus, kids who are generally in uniform who suddenly get to wear bizarre costumes tend to be a little less focused on Halloween....

I must say, though, the exercises I did with the kids to set "ideal classroom" norms seemed to have trickled into their heads - they were stellar today, in actuality.   They did get through a powerful amount of chocolate in two periods (with a few random trick-or-treats between classes). 

My observation from last week was rated today and it was pretty good!  Yay!  I now feel a lot happier with myself, which I know is stupid, but I can't help it.  

My husband forced - yes, forced! - me to dress up today.  He said, "Teachers should dress up.  The kids will think you're lame if you don't."  I thought back to how usually very few teachers dress up and considered how stupid I would feel, but I did it anyway.  At first, I considered being a girl from the 80s.  I quite remember how to do my hair like I did in 1984, and I have some jeans from a period not that far from that time - throw on a pair of Reeboks and wear one long earring and one short, do my hair, wear those old jeans, and I'd be good to go.  Instead, I went with the even easier route.  Grabbed my riding boots, a pair of jeans, a cowboy hat, and the rope from the tack room (taped up so no kids decided to try to rope each other, sigh).  Pretty basic, but at least my boots have real horse manure on them! Well, not really, but they've kicked through quite a lot of it over the last decade or so (Ariat boots are the BEST!) 

Just found out that the soccer season is four weeks long with three games (!) each Saturday.  THREE games!  That's all day.  How they expect kids to play three games in one day for several weeks in a row is beyond me.  How they expect me to sit through three games each Saturday is beyond me, too.  Well, if most of the games are at our campus, I can go to my classroom and work on stuff between games, I guess.... Always try to find a bright spot. 

No comments: