Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Missing Hen Update

Miss Buff Orpington showed up at feeding time - soaking wet and a little ragged around the edges.  I had to count the buff hens twice - I have two Americaunas who are light in color so I had to make sure I wasn't counting one of them.  My guess is someone chewed on her (probably that Balto) and she ran away and hid in the forest for several days.  I thought I counted her one other morning, but then didn't see her again, so I guessed I had made a mistake - but perhaps not.  Maybe she is making intermittent appearances. 

One lamb had a touch of scours the other day, but she's been fine since - Ellie has enough milk for three lambs, but only two left to drink it.  The black and white lamb is a strong nurser and they were a bit upset by their first day in pasture.  I was all ready to give her some Pepto-Bismol, but she recovered so quickly, it wasn't necessary. 

The sky was actually clear this morning, but already clouds are rolling in.  Someone at work made the comment that he'd been here for 25 years and this is the first time he actually considered moving due to the rain - so it isn't just me.  This has been a dismal, cold, rainy year.  I am hoping for a nice balance of tank-filling rain and sun in the summer! 

4 comments:

Chai Chai said...

Do you like your Americauna chickens? The blue eggs I have in the incubator are Blue Wheaton Americanaus and I'm excited to see them hatch.

NancyDe said...

I love the colors of the eggs, but they tend to not be as prolific as the Buff Orpingtons. They also are liable to laying double yolk eggs - so far I haven't had a problem with them prolapsing, but I do worry about it. They tend to stick together when on free range, which is nice, but they also tend to hide their eggs! So I guess I have mixed reviews....

Barry said...

Catching up - I've added my prayers for your daughter's friend. May the surgery be successful!
Missy B - better than saying Miss BO, on several levels - probably left an egg in the bushes. Who knows? Peep of the Jungle! They are good looking chickens, though.

NancyDe said...

I am getting my updates on my daughter's friend via caringbridge and FB. She seems to be in a lot of discomfort. So sad.

Actually, Missy B laid her (not fertile) egg under our lanai. I took it and my husband chased her back to the coop. The rooster was flattened by a horse he mistakenly attacked and we haven't replaced him.