Sunday, March 16, 2014

Natural Cleaners

Although I admit I am always looking for ways to save money, the real reason I like to make my own cleaners is because the store is really far away.  I can go through one of those spray and wipe bathoom cleaner bottles in a week.  Although work is closer to the store than home, I don't like going after work because 1) basically I have too much work to do and 2) the traffic is horrible after school.  It's only horrible between the bypass road and school, but that's bad enough. 

So I bought a big box of Borax, a big box of washing soda, a huge pouch of baking soda, and I buy gallon jugs of vinegar (possibly they are 2 gallon jugs - they're big).  I also bought Fels Naphtha, because I thought I would make some laundry soap, but the grating hasn't appealed.  I have lots of lemons on my trees at most times, so lemon juice and peel is a great addition to the home made cleaner arsenal.  

I love lemon vinegar cleaner.  You just soak lemon peels in vinegar for a couple of week and it cleans kitchen counters, granite, laminate floors, bathroom sinks - all shiny and not too vinegar smelling. 

I made a cleaner for my bathroom yesterday with 4 T borax, 1 tsp washing soda, 4 T baking soda,  1/2 a lemon's worth of juice, 1 1/2 cups vinegar and 3 cups hot water.  It was strong and next time I will wear rubber gloves, but it shined up my shower doors and shower tiles very nicely. 

I just ran out of Pledge, so the next recipe I will try will be some kind of wood cleaner. 


No comments: