Saturday, August 6, 2011

Peppers?

I overplanted the peppers.  Any one have any good canning recipes for peppers? I have a lot of jalapeno-so I will probably go ahead and make salsa and pickled peppers, but what about green bell peppers? Or, does anyone know if they freeze well? 

I bought new cucumber seedlings, but they seem to have the same fungus or virus as the ones I pulled out last month.  I am wondering what's up with the cucumbers this year, very discouraging, because I wanted to put up some pickles.  Whatever is happening with the cucumbers, it didn't stop them from producing, but it curtailed how long they produced and the quantity of produce, too. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You can definitely freeze peppers. I usually dice them first and freeze them on a cookie sheet, then bag them up. They would not be good for fresh use, but you can use them for cooking.

Leigh said...

Green peppers freeze great! I always try to freeze enough for Friday night pizza. I just made it last year, but underplanted this year. :( You can also stuff the big ones and freeze them. They also dehydrate well, if you have a food dryer.

NancyDe said...

Thanks! Do you have to blanche them first? I was thinking about just making stuffed peppers out of the littler ones as a pupu tonight, but the pepper plants are starting to get so top heavy - they're falling over. Time to just harvest them, even if I wish some of them would grow bigger. Staking them with bamboo isn't working that great.

Anonymous said...

Would you care to post the recipe for your pickled peppers? We tried making some last year, but they came out slimy.

Thanks :)

NancyDe said...

ruraldream: I haven't actually made them, yet, but all of the canning recipes I have tried in the Ball book have been great. I will post the recipe once I try it and it works :). Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Anonymous said...

That's okay - I will just patiently wait for the recipe and review :)