Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sick Horses and Grumbling Kids

Ohia is having a bad bout with his chronic founder.  I think the beet pulp pellets had some corn in it - not good at all.  This is why I prefer beet pulp shreds over the pellets.  I think I must be the only one who does, because the feed stores don't carry it anymore.

He always rapidly drops weight when these episodes are coming on and it is just so painful.  This episode is as bad as any he's had and I, as always, am faced with whether the humane thing would be to put him down.  It's a painful and stressful thing.  At the moment, I am just soaking his foot, hoping to draw the abscess out to relieve the pain - double dosing him with horse aspirin, bringing him out to the soft grass and feeding him three meals a day where no one else can steal it from him. 

At the same time, my husband decided the kids are going to get up at 8 am and start chores by 9 after eating a hot breakfast.  This is a distinct change from their usual sleep in late and over-schedule the rest of the day so you can avoid chores plan and therefore is leading to a lot of grumbling.  It is slightly amusing grumbling (usually involving the word "pointless" and the phrase "I am going to pay someone to do this - so I don't have to learn"). 

The grumbling seems to bring them closer together as siblings.  I caught sight of the two boys throwing the football this afternoon.  Usually they are glued to their different computers, so it was lovely. 

I am planning to inform them that I intend them to harvest all of the taro when the grumbling dies down.  I think it is too early days for that now.  (As I think of it, an evil giggle bubbles up). 

2 comments:

HeirloomRosaries said...

Did you have to use the word "butcher"? It garners up thoughts of awfulness. You are one brave girl.

NancyDe said...

Rosary Lady, it was you who told me about playing with chicken feet after your grandma "processed" the bird. I gave my feet a decent burial.... and hey, my great-grandfather was a butcher.