Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am inordinately clumsy today - have burned myself making three different dishes today.  I have been doing Thanksgiving for a couple of decades now and this is the worst one, yet ...

Let's see - I spilled part of the pumpkin pie mixture on the floor and collapsed one of the pie crusts - one of the pies, therefore has a crust about an inch in from the edge of the pie.  I figure it will taste the same, but you have to wonder how that happened at all.  I burnt my finger on that one.

The pumpkin flan - I don't know how that came out - definitely put far too much cinnamon, but I only burnt the tip of my thumb. 

Turkey:  in the oven, so far so good, but burnt the palm of my hand while putting it in the hot oven.  Not sure how that happened...

I have a wall oven, and it is a bit small.  Matters are not helped by the fact that the heating element is detached at the front of the oven and drooping down.  A new wall oven is not in the budget, so on big meal days like Thanksgiving, I get burned.  I just expect at least one a year - but three is getting annoying.

I woke up this morning listing the people in my life for whom I am thankful.   I am glad I did that, because when I was in the most fiddly part of the baking and had just burned myself the second time and was inclined to be cranky  (My son says I owe enough money to the "Swear Jar" to take us to the movies), my almost 14 year old came stomping through the kitchen making boy noises.  Sometimes when I am cranky, this sort of behavior is less than appreciated, and I think he expected a scolding.  When he looked at my face and saw me smiling, I got the sweetest smile back.  The kind of smile you miss when your kids grow up and turn into teens. 

Now, that was something to be thankful for! 






No comments: