Monday, February 14, 2011

'Kay, this is going to sound nuts...

Yup, as I was upstairs dealing with my frustration at having to sell my mare....and my poor gelding was weaving and calling until he was hoarse... I followed my usual habit of cruising craigslist for sheep and looking at horses just 'cuz.  My husband was looking over my shoulder and we saw a gelding for not much.

We looked at the picture; he was a gray 8 year old, nothing special.  Looked a bit smallish, but solid.  So my husband called.  The people answered, explained they were selling the horse for a friend and they weren't home, and there tons of people calling because the horse was so cheap, etc.  My husband decided he's pray about it a bit, and I sort of put it out of my mind.

Well, they called back.  We drove over (not far) and took a look at the horse.  He was pretty spooky.  Someone's hit this horse somewhere along the line: dogs didn't bother him, wheeled objects didn't bother him, even unexpected noises (he'd been out in pasture the last 8 months) were a breeze.  But a person coming toward him was scary.  He carries his head way up high and his ears pricked; he's nervous.

I rode him a bit.  He was jumpy but not naughty.  He has a go and a whoa, but no neck reining, doesn't move off the leg aids.  He's been banged up some out in pasture - had what looked like a nasty wire cut healed over, but it didn't get his tendons.

My daughter fell in love with him - honestly, slap a horn on the guy and he's a 11 year old girl's fantasy unicorn.  She walked right up to him and gave him a big hug around his neck.  He stood as still as a statue, except for licking and chewing (means he's ready to listen in horse speak).

We brought him home (no three week hemming and hawing for us (:  ).  My gelding was thrilled - poor pitiful guy was standing at the gate he last saw the mare, weaving (HATE that habit) and too hoarse to call anymore.  He'd worn himself out grieving.  He took one look at the gray and visibly relaxed.  They aren't close, yet, but they're comfortable.  I figure if the child falls out of love with him, if I put some trust into him and get him light and moving off aids, he'll be easy to sell. I got him for such a good price, it was worth the try.  And I have someone to ride while the paint convalesces!

So even though I have a big mare sized hole in my heart - I have a small gelding to fill part of it.

What do you think?  I had a struggling reader who loved a book called Gib and the Gray Ghost so much she read it several times in one year.  I was thinking Gibson might be a good name - but I draw the line at calling him Mel.  My little girl wanted to call him Fantasy, but I had a hard time imagining myself trying to call him in from the pasture.....

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the name Gibson for this guy!

NancyDe said...

My oldest is calling him the "devil horse". I truly thought she wouldn't even notice a new horse out there. (She was spending the night at a friend's when we brought him home). I told all the other kids to say nothing....but as soon as we drove up the driveway this evening, she said, "Since when do we have a white horse?!" Then she promptly posted on FB that "the devil horse is in my yard." Poor Gib.

I took a more thoughtful look at him today - I was thinking part arabian, but that head and neck carriage and the roundy corners of him looks Andalusian to me. And he has a gorgeous Andalusian-y tail.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I think he is beautiful. So glad he has come to your house. He will love being taken care of.

Kim said...

Aw - he's gorgeous! Congratulations! And I agree about the Andalusian-ness. I should show Pete this post... We have a three-stall barn that currently houses his motorcycle and I have noticed the same thing about great horses going cheap on Craigslist here...

NancyDe said...

Kim, (congrats to you and Pete, once again - keep those pictures coming) well, I gave up a Hanoverian/TB cross for this guy (and the ability to pay tuition!), but he is quite nice. It is nice to have someone I will be able to teach the kids on again. He is really calming down. He actually walked toward me this morning...

Wouldn't that be fun to use Pete's motorcycle barn for a horse, too...

Chai Chai said...

Can't have only one horse without getting too lonely, plus he will give you something to ride.

We are always trolling craigslist looking for things we really don't need too!

NancyDe said...

Chai Chai, what did we do without craigslist? In the last few months, we've gotten a broken spitfire (my husband has it running), a chipper that probably just needs the fuel lines cleaned, and this horse - and some seed potatoes. And I sold Scarlett, several loads of composted manure and some eggs....so it isn't all buying, fortunately. So far, in spite the skittishness, he is very peaceful - doesn't steal the other horse's food, doesn't chase the sheep (beyond a gentle ears back at a lamb who was trying to eat out of his bucket), comes when I call - even if he stays just out of reach. I am dying to ride - wanted to give him a day or two of adjustment, but I am ready now!

Deb said...

Nancy,

Just wanted to add to my emails, Gib is extremely handsome and would bet he is so well behaved as a thank you for having found a home with you and your family !

NancyDe said...

Thanks, Deb! He is so spooky, I am tempted to change his name to Casper....only on the ground, and only people. He is fine with dogs, carts, cars, squeaky gates and doors....and sheep, thankfully.

HeirloomRosaries said...

Casper. Great name for a beautiful horse.

NancyDe said...

Sorry! Gib stuck. Plus, the last gray horse named Casper I knew I saw being carted on the dead cow truck early one morning when I was getting the polo horses ready (back in the day when I was a polo groom) - kind of puts a damper on everything. Your younger grandson wanted to call him "Sasper" who is apparently Casper's evil cousin....