Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dorpers?

We have limited sheep breeds to buy locally, but I saw a CL ad for Dorper Lambs.  I was contemplating some half EF lambs from Kona, but these Dorpers are raised close to my house and handle our rotten weather okay.

Anyone have any input on this breed of sheep?  One of the things that attracts me is the breed descriptions and the pictures of the huge udders.  I dearly want a dairy animal and sheep may be my only alternative at the moment....

Hair sheep also just make sense in our climate - it's wet and muggy and hot and the wool seems like it attracts parasites in a subtropical climate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister Christine would be the gal to talk to! She has Dorpers and LOVES them. Her website is sumerlindorperfarm.com I think she might be a follower of yours? If I could talk my hubby into getting sheep again I would go with Dorpers. :)

The Sumerlin Dorper Farm said...

We have a flock of 6 Dorpers. We LOVE them! They are very good animals. They are known for there meat (Which we don't eat them so I really don’t know). We live in a very wet climate, and we have not run into any problems with parasites, foot rot, or worms. They are great foragers and lamb easily. Last year was our first lambing season (All first time mothers) and we only needed to assist with 1 lamb. I could probably go on, and on but I will leave it at that for now. If you would like to talk more about Dorpers please feel free to e-mail me sumerlindorperfarm@hotmail.com.
I hope this information helped.

NancyDe said...

Wow! Thanks for the info. I like that my hair sheep are good moms and the lambing is easy - and it is great that Dorpers are like that, too. I guess I will go check them out on the weekend....