Friday, May 20, 2011

New Sheep

I picked up my new Dorpers yesterday - a little ram lamb and a pregnant ewe.  They are very calm and manageable compared to my current flock, although rather smaller.  My sheep, including Elvis, the big bad ram, were frightened of them.

Here are some pictures:


 Here is the ewe lamb.  She is a yearling due on June 23.  You can see Calico checking her out.
Here is the four month old ram lamb.  I am considering naming him Spot.  
The are pretty solid animals, if a bit small in stature compared to the rest of my flock.
Minnie is looking things over from her usual "safe place".  She is the bravest of my first sheep - she shared the feeding bucket with the newcomers first.   You can see little Uila next to Minnie - I think she is going to be brave like her mom.










In other news, the rooster died, apparently of injuries sustained by being stepped on by Gib.   It was quiet this morning, but at least we can go into the coop without fear of attack.  I should have processed him before he died, but I thought he was just a bit bruised and lacking in tail feathers and that he'd recover.  Waste of a bird, but it was a bit stupid of him to think he could attack a horse....

6 comments:

RAILBIRD said...

As a former egg farmer, I can only say "the only good rooster is a dead rooster" Unless he is a capon of course!

NancyDe said...

Just a bummer I had to bury him instead of eat him, I suppose. Did you think it looked like that gray horse stepped on him squarely? I didn't think he got him that bad! Nice picture of you and the boy on your blog - forgot to say that! What do you think of my expensive new sheep? These two cost more than my original four by a little bit - but I guess the ewe has at least one lamb on the way (hope it's a ewe lamb!)

Chai Chai said...

Nice pictures, they all look so prim and proper. Are you going to separate them by sex, by breed, or just leave them mixed together?

I guess if a rooster is foolish enough to attack a horse he deserves what he gets.

NancyDe said...

Chai Chai, I want to separate two little flocks and just switch rams as needed. Right now, they are all together until we can get some more fencing up.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I think they are lovely. Lets hope they all get along. Sorry about the rooster.

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures! They are adorable.