Monday, October 11, 2010

Snot Nosed and Sneezing....

I am having a hard time finding information on sheep - how long does it take for wormer medicine to kill off the nasal bots and leave my poor sheep feeling better?

The don't have fevers; they are not coughing.  Their eyes are bright, and they have plenty of pep....so I am not inclined to start sticking them with penicillin, but I don't want them to be sick and I let them just get worse.

I actually feel as nervous about these sheep as I did when my first child was born.  I worried about every sound, look, change.  By child number four, I was pretty blase about stuff. I am sure I will get there with the sheep, too.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a newbie sheep owner without the horse experience.  Working around horses gave me the experience to give shots, work with hooves, give oral doses....but at the same time, every movement the sheep make is foreign and I get jumpy because I haven't yet learned to anticipate what sheep will do.  They don't have the same instincts, quite, that horses do.

No comments: