Friday, November 19, 2010

Voggy with a Chance of Lightning....

This morning was so beautiful: the skies were blue and gold and it looked to be a bright and sunny day.  Have I mentioned that I work in a metaphorical cave?  By the time I came up from air after doing paper work through lunch, the wind had picked up, the clouds rolled in, and my coworker told me to go home soon, a storm was expected.

When I drove up this afternoon, I noticed that the vog from Kilauea was rolling in around our area.  That means the winds are from the south or south east.  It makes the air a foggy yellow and smells like sulfur.  The animals were a bit riled when I got home, but it could be because I was carrying feed and home earlier than usual!

The air does have that unsettled feeling before a big blow, but there is absolutely no wind and, for the moment, no rain.  The coqui frogs are quiet, which is a miracle, if a little oddly unsettling - I hadn't realized I'd gotten so used to them.  They do go quiet in the winter, so maybe they are just going to sleep.

I wonder what the tomorrow will bring - lots of rain, or will it rain tonight, washing the air clean, and leave it beautiful for me to work on my garden?

2 comments:

Faith said...

Out of curiosity, I looked up the rain forecast for Hawaii. Oddly enough, you have a forecast of rain for the next 9 out of 10 days. :oP

I bet storms are exciting up on the mountain.

Oh, I think you had mentioned before that properties were long and narrow. Same for this area. So many parcels divided up into deep pieces with road frontage. Ours is almost 6 acres, but about 250 feet wide, and the rest is deep.

When was Kilauea's last event? It had to be a while ago as I don't see any lava under your horse, thankfully.

~Faith

NancyDe said...

All of Hawaii, or just my area? We have all these microclimates. Like last night, I could see the lightning down in Hilo town, but we were still, rainless, and muggy up here.

Kilauea has been erupting pretty much continuously since 1982, but fortunately, it flows downhill from us. Most of the time, the flows are in the actual National Park, but sometimes it will threaten Kapoho and Pahoa, which are closer to the ocean. Sometimes you can see beautiful flows. We would be more in danger from Mauna Loa, if it should ever erupt again. Mauna Loa was inflating about a decade ago, but it didn't erupt.

Yes, our lots all have narrow road fronts, and deep properties. Ours is about 280 feet across and deep.